1) What do we find out about Kevin’s father by the end of chapter 11? How do you feel about Kevin’s father being a “magician”?
2) Why is Freak’s Christmas gift of the pyramid-shaped box and handwritten dictionary so important to Max?
3) What type of author craft did Rodman Philbrick use to describe the conflict of the story: When Max's Dad, KILLER KANE comes back for Max in the basement? Give examples from the text.
4) Let us play pretend for a moment...pretend that Freak was a student in our school...would you want Freak as your friend? Would you treat Kevin "Freak" differently than your other classmates? WHY OR WHY NOT? BE HONEST.
LA#2
ReplyDelete1. We find out that when Kevin was born and he heard he was going to have a phisical disability he was a "magician" because he disapeared. I feel that his father wanted a perfect no issue son but when he heard that his son is going to have an issue he was upset.
2. Freak's christmas gift of the dictionary is so important to Max because no one really gave him a hand made gift so this shows that Freak really cares about him.
3. The type of author craft Rodman Philbrick used when Killer Kane returns is discreption because he says it feels cold and he feels wind but it's breathing.
4. I would want Freak as my friend becuase he seems really nice in the book exept he has a diability no big deal for me I am going to treat him the way I treat others becuase he is a human just like me.
AK #14
ReplyDelete1 We found out about Kevins father in chapter 11 that once he found out that freak had a ddisabilty he left. I think it was very mean of iggys wife loretta to say that about freaks dad. I don't think that freaks dad made a very good choice but did he have to leave?
2 The christmas preasent was very importand to max beacause you could tell freak spent a lot of time making the box and dichonary.
3 The auther craft that R.F used is a cliff hanger and that the sound of his dads breath made him freeze up and very scared. In my opinon max may have felt a little happy to see or feel his dad and to make him feel like he never forgot max.
4 To be honest I would treat him a little differently than other students and I think that other kids would to and I know that you should not do that but we are being honest in this question. I would do that beacuse he has a phsical proplem with his bodt.
MG #10
ReplyDelete1. We find out that Freak's dad didn't want to deal with Freak's difficulty of his physical disability. He knew it would be lots of work and decided The Fair Gwen would take care of him. I don't think that he is really a magician, but Iggy makes a joke about it. I don't think it was a good thing for his dad to "dissapear" without giving Kevin a shot.
2. The gift is so important to Max because Kevin specially wrapped it in a box that he dwindled with to make it open upon pressing a button, and Kevin put his own spice into the dictionary by doing his favorite words and having definitions that Max might understand. Kevin is one of the only people who would use rubber bands and paper clips to make a really cool box that shows how Kevin really is. The dictionary is a good present because Kevin always has Max look up words in a dictionary, and now he can know and look up Kevin's favorite words.
3. Rodman Philbrick uses a cliff-hanger because he doesn't really say it is his dad, but you can assume that. He was supposed to not come within ten miles of the house, and there he is, in the house. You think if Max will tell, he will get kidnapped by his dad, or anything else. Your heart is beating, and you just NEED to know what happens next.
4. If Freak was in our school, I wouldn't hang around him because he always talks in a voice with high vocabulary, doesn't play sports, and has a weird imaginstion that Max can handle. I might find Kevin annoying, but I wouldn't bully him. He would be a normal kid in my life, not a friend, not an enemy.
RK #13
ReplyDelete1.We find out that as soon as Kevin's dad knew that Kevin had a birth defect, he left Gwen to take care of Kevin alone. I feel like it was a cowardly thing to do because he should have just stayed and helped Gwen, but instead he just ran away from it all. If he did leave he should have at least send Kevin letters and have some contact with Kevin.
2. Freak's present is so important to Max because Freak made the box himself and Freak had been helping Max to improve his vocabulary, so Freak gave it to him so Max could look at the words when Freak wasn't there. Max could really see that Freak put a lot of effort into making the present.
3. The author craft that Rodman Philbrick used was showing not telling that Max's dad had come back for him. He did this when his dad said he came back like he promised. When he said that a huge hand covered his face you know that the person is big, and we knew that Max's dad was a big man. He also left a cliffhanger at the end of the chapter because you have no idea what Max's dad is going t
4. If Freak was at are school I would want him to be my friend because he seems very interesting. I would treat him differently because if I did something mean to him everyone would think that I was mean to the cripple, so I would treat him nicely.
MEF #8
ReplyDelete1. We find out that kevn's dad was a "magician."
I feel that what Kevin's dad did was the wrong thing to do to your son. I feel this becuase it is your responsibilty to take care of your child when you have one and not just leave it up to the mom or dad.
2. I think that Freak's Christmas gift of the pyramind shaped box and handwritten dictionary is important to Max becuase it is something home made not just bought from a store. And that it is different just like Freak and Max are when they are together.
3. The author craft that Rodman Philbrick uses when Killer Kane comes back for Max in the basement is a cliffhanger. For example on page 99 the last line says " I came back'" he says. " Like I promised"
4. If Freak was at our school I think i would want to be Freak's friend. I think I might treat Freak differently from the other classmates. I would treat him different because he seems kind of fragile if you just glance at him so i would kind of treat him like a baby.
CVD #6
ReplyDelete1.We found out that Kevin's dad left him because when he found out that Kevin had a disability he left because he didn't want to do the work. In my opinoin it wasn't very nice how Igy said that freaks dad was a magishion because he left it would proble put freak down and make him feel bad and, his dad shouldn't have left because it stupid how he won't help his son to work it out.
2.The gift to max is importent to him because Max can use it for big words and to write the words in because freak puts the defanition so he can understand.
3.Rodman phibrick used a clif hanger because you would have to figuer out in the next chapter.
4.If freak was in our school I would treat him diffrent because he has a disability and it would be hard to be friends with him and it would be odd.
MLL #16
ReplyDelete1. We find out the freak's dad left when he found out that freak had a birth defect. I think that that is very dumb because it is his kid and he should take care of him even if he does have a disabilty and i would have stayed and taken care of him.
2. The hand maid dictanry is imporant to max because it is his first present from a real friend and it was something that he maid and did not buy andof work into it for him.
3. the author does not realy tell that the dad comes back but the reader can tell because on page 98 he says i came back like i promised an d it is sertly not santa so i most likley his father. witch is sepence
4. if freak was in are school i would probley make fun of him. i would also treat him diffrently. but after reading this book i would probley change me and i would treat someone with a disabilty like i would treat anyone else.
TRB #4
ReplyDelete1. In chapter 11 we found out that kevins father "disaperred" after he found out that kevin wa phisalicly disabaled.I feel that is wasn't fair that kevins father disapered because he is your kid and you should help him even if he is diffrent.
2.The dictoinary is very importent to Max because Freak made up his own difantoins to the words.Also It reminds them of their friendship because on the "quests" freak made Max look up word he didnt know in the dictory.
3.The aothur uses a cliff hanger to keep the reader intrisdid into the book.
4. well i would want freak as my friend because he is smart and has a lot of imagoination. I wouldnt treat him diffrentlly i would treat him like a noral person like he is because it doesnt matter whats on the outside it only matters whats on the inside.
SEV 21
ReplyDelete1. Kevin's dad left when he found out his son had a physical disabilaty. Iggy and Loretta call Kevin's dad a magician because he "dissapeared" when he really just left. I wouldn't leave Guen and Freak. I would struggle but I would deal with it because you have to stick with what you agreed to do.
2. The reason why the dictionary and the pyramid-shaped box is so important to Max because it shows that Freak put alot of thought into his present. also because Freak really cares about Max.
3. Rodman Philbrick uses a cliff hanger and he also uses show not tell.
4. I would want to be Freak's friend because he would be lonely and he is really nice in the book. Even though Max is not the smartest person, Freak doesn't make fun of him.
1. we find out at the end of chapter eleven that Kevin's father didn't want a child with a birth defect. that's why he disapeared from his family. I feel that Kevin's father's choice about leaving his family was wrong. I think this because you should love yous child even if there is anything wrong with them.
ReplyDelete2. Freak's christmas gift to Max is important to him because since Freak is really his first and only friend and has basically givin Max a new life, he'll respect anything from freak.
3. The author craft that Rodman Philbrick used to discribe the conflict of the story is suspence. He uses suspence when Killer Kane comes into the room by not telling who came in and using alot of discription.
4. Being honest I would like freak to be my friend. I think this because I like Freak's personality. I would also not treat Freak differently than other peoiple because then he would feel like Max.
MPH 11
WG #9
ReplyDelete1.At the end of chapter 11 we find out that Kevin’s Dad did not want to have a kid with disabilities because it would be too much work for him and he did not want to take the extra step to having a child with disabilities. I feel that he should not have done that, but if he really couldn’t raise a kid with disabilities I think he should have helped without day to day contact. Also everyone has challenges but Kevin has different ones.
2. In my opinion Freaks Christmas gift of a hand written dictionary in a pyramid box is so important to Max because it shows what real friends are and that Freak really cares about Max and respects him as a friend.
3. The author used a cliff hanger at the end of chapter 15 to introduce the conflict of the story.
4. Being honest I would not want to be Freak’s friend because he is different, I would treat him differently because he is different in my mind but really he is not in the inside.
Acc5
ReplyDelete1) At the end of chapter 11, we find out that Kevin’s dad was a ‘magician’ because the dad left when he found out that Kevin was physically disabled. I don’t think the dad should have left because he made a commitment by having Kevin. He also owes it to his wife to help the Fair Gwen to help take care of Kevin. Even though Kevin was disabled, the dad should have fought through the problem until he found out what Kevin had to offer, which is being smart.
2) The dictionary is very important to Max. In my opinion, it is because Freak took time to make it with simple definitions that Max could understand. Now Max can learn new words.
3) Rodman Philbrick used SUSPENSE during the conflict in the story on pages 98 and 99. For example, when Max talks about it being cold in the down under when it’s usually warm, it’s actually Killer Kane’ s breath. At the end of the chapter, it ends with a cliff hanger: “ I came back,” He said,” Like I promised.” (creeper)
4) If Freak were in our class, I would want to be his friend. I would because he is smart, funny, and imaginative. I might treat Freak a little different. I probably wouldn’t jokingly push him like some friends do because I wouldn’t want to hurt him. I might say different things and being careful what I say so I don’t hurt his feelings. For example, I wouldn’t ask him to go to an amusement park because he wouldn’t be allowed to go on some of the rides because of his height. I would not baby him or make fun of him though.
LD #7
ReplyDelete1. At the end of chapter 11 we find out that Freaks dad was a magician.I do not feel that it was fair for freaks dad to leave without any contact.
2. freaks gift was so important because he worked so hard on it and if freak did not care about max than he probably wouldn't have made it.
3. suspense or cliff hanger.
4. I would want freak as a friend. I would treat him as any other kid because it dose not mater what the person looks like it maters how the person acts.
TS#20
ReplyDelete1. When he found out that Kevin was diagnosed with a birth defect, his father disappeared just like a magician. I think that was really unfair of his dad to leave like that, especially since he left The Fair Gwen with a big responsibility of having a disabled child. He should definitely consider how it would be like growing up without a dad and knowing he left because of you. It was not Kevin's fault he was born that way.
2. Freak's Christmas gift was so important to Max because now Max has his own dictionary and instead of always looking it up in the big dictionary, he has the special dictionary which is smaller and defines the words in a way that Max could understand. It also showed that Kevin really cares about Max since he obviously spent a lot of time making that very intricite present.
3. The author craft that Rodman Philbrick used was a cliff hanger. He made it very suspenseful so that you would wonder what would happen to Max. On page 98 it says that someone who rises up darker than night, as big as the room put a giant hand on me and presses down." That shows that Killer Kane is very big and strong, so you would keep reading to make sure Max was ok.
4. I would have Freak as a friend because in the book his personality is loyal, caring and friendly. I would somewhat treat him differently because I would not make fun or stare at him. Also I might walk slowly with him since he is nice. Otherwise, I would treat him like I do all my friends.
JW #22
ReplyDelete1. We find out by the end of chapter 11 is that Kevin's dad left after he found out that his child would have a physical disable. If i was in Kevin's fathers shoes i would still keep in touch and really try my best to talk to my wife and only son. Mabie i would go away and i would need some time to think about all of this, but no matter what i would still keep in tuch and see Kevin and The Fair Gwen.
2. Freak's Christmas gift of the pyramid-shaped box and a hand written dictionary is so important to Max because he always needs to look up things in the dictionary and Freak knows that Max doesn't know a lot of words that freak says, so freak made a dictionary that Max can understand the words in that dictionary because it was freaks definition.
3. The author craft that Rodman Philbrick used when Max's dad came to Max's house was a cliff hanger. Rodman used a cliff hanger so you don't put down the book and you keep reading. An example is on page 62 it says "which as it turns out, is almost true. The real deal is that she is a damsel who causes distress. Which we find out the very next day." This makes the reader want to read on and know who Loretta Lee is. Another example is on page 20 it says " But i know really, she's scared of me." This cliff hanger makes the reader want to know if The Fair Gwen is really scared of Max.
4. If freak was at my school i would want to be his friend, and i would treat Kevin a little bit diferent than the other students because he has a phyical disability and i would be cautious around him and help him do things that he can't do.
LF24
ReplyDelete1.We find out that Kevin’s father didn’t want to have a kid with physically problems so he went away to not deal with it. That is way they call him the magician because he just directly disappeared like a magician. I feel joyless about Kevin because your own father doesn’t want you is hurtful, and then you feel strange and not like others. In my opinion he should have some contact in some way if he doesn’t wants to deal a lot with it.
2.You can see how Kevin’s gift is so important to max because he describes how he peels carefully all the paper. But the real meaning is that it is so important because that is going to help him with the reading and his vocabulary. It is also cool because is hand made and it has Freaks humor of sense.
3. The type of author craft Rodman Philbrick used when Kane came into the basement to kidnap his own son. Is cliff hanger because at the end of the chapter (the part of Kane kidnapping max) it lets you with the question. Who was the men who was on the basement? Then you figure it out in the next chapter. So it kinds of hangs you to the answer.
4. Well first if I didn’t know Freak I will kind of treat him differently because of how he looks, but as we get along I will understand that he doesn’t have really much of a problem he is just small so then he will become my friend. But still you don’t want to do things to others that you wouldn’t like. So in this case I don’t want to be treated differently so I don’t treat no one differently.
MS #19
ReplyDelete1. We find out that Kevin’s father left when he heard his son had a birth defect. I feel that Kevin’s father made the wrong decision because when he left Kevin and since Kevin is his son he could have not taken the most care of him but he could see Kevin some times.
2. The Christmas gift of the pyramid shaped box and dictionary is important to Max because his friend made for him and since he didn’t have a friend before this was the first thing a friend got him for Christmas.
3. The author craft Rodman Philbrick used when Killer Kane comes back is a cliff hanger because he just told you killer Kane came in but he didn’t say anything more about it until the next chapter.
4. If freak was at our school I would treat him a little differently than my other class mates because he is only different because he has the disease.
Ra #1
ReplyDelete1. At the end of chapter 11 we find out about Kevin’s father that he disappeared because he found out that his son had a disability. In my opinion, I would feel sad that my dad had left because I only had a disability. I think he should of helped and stayed and helped out because Gwen needs some help and he should have some contact with is child.
2. I think Freak's Christmas gift is shaped like a Pyramid-shaped box and the handwritten dictionary so important to Max because Max Doesn’t knows a lot words and he is learning Disabled and in my opinion that would be important to him because he will be able to learn the alphabet and try to make word that he never knew.
3. The Author craft that Rodman Philbrick used to describe the conflict of the story was Cliff Hanger. At the end of chapter 15, Killer Kane said “don’t you say a word boy” and also, he pulled his hand over Max’s mouth and followed him down his blanket.
4. I would want Freak to be my friend so, I can help him out and I have a personality just like his. Since, I really like to be adventurous. But I would treat him differently than the others because has a physical disability and he can’t do some things we can do. People would be staring at him.
EFB#3
ReplyDelete#1) We found out in chapter eleven that when Freaks parents found out that freak would have a disability the father left Gwen to take care of Freak by herself. I feel that was not not the right decision because freak has a lot to offer since Freak does not have a mental disability he is EXTREAMLY smart and does well in school. Also since he didn't even get to know Freak he doesn't know anything about him and just left his wife and son.
#2) Freak’s Christmas present to Max was so important because Max saw that he put the work into making something that was special to both of them. Also as Max kept saying it was “different”
#3) Rodman Philbrick used a cliff hanger to describe the conflict of the story which was that Killer Kane came out of prision and went into the “ down under” and kidnapped Max. For example at the end of chapter 15 it says “ I came back, “ “Like I promised.” And that leads you to wanting to know more.
#4) If Freak were to be a student in our school to be honest I would not want to become friends with Freak. In my opinion Freak and I have different personalities and I feel like if I had a bunch of friends and then I became friends with Freak people would look at me like I’m weird also Freak is not much different then us he is just a little small and just because he is small is doesn’t mean he needs to get special treatment.
KR 18
ReplyDelete1. At the end of Chapter 11, we find out that Kevin's father left Gwen. On page 71, Loretta Lee is talking about how Kevin’s father is a "magician" because as soon as he heard the "magic" words 'birth defect' he "disappeared." I feel that Kevin’s father definitely should not have just left Gwen alone with Kevin. I think this because she has a lot on her hands since he could die from his disability she has to make sure everything goes normally.
2. In my opinion the pyramid-shaped box and dictionary are so important to Max because Kevin took the time to make them for him by hand. You can tell that he took the time to make it because it has all of the words that Max struggles to remember. That Kevin took the time to write down every word that Max struggles with shows how much Kevin cares about Max.
3. Rodman Philbrick uses the cliff-hanger author craft. One example of this is when there was a 'stranger' in The Down Under. Max was scared, he didn't know who was in The Down Under (on page 98, the author wrote, "Except it’s not the wind. Someone breathing.") A second example is it says on page 99, "‘I came back.’ He said, ‘Like I promised.’ The author ended the chapter without telling the reader who was speaking.
4. I would want Kevin as my friend because he seems like a very nice, bold person. (Or character) I would not treat him differently then I would treat my other classmates because he is a person, he has the right to be treated like one.
TL#15
ReplyDelete1. At the end of chapter 11 I learned that Kevin's father left his wife when he learned his child would be physically disabled. He abandoned his wife to care for herself and the child he didn't want to raise. In my opinion, it was wrong for him to leave his family, he didn't know how Kevin would turn out to be.
2. In my opinion, Freak's christmas present is special to Max because he knows that Freak put effort into the making of the gift. He could have also asked his mother to give him money to buy a gift from a store but it would have been much less sentimental to Max.
3. The author used suspense or a "cliff hanger" as a way to end chapter 15.
4. I think that if Freak was to go to our school I would be friends with him but I would still treat him differently, not because of his disability but because he is so smart. I would look up at him.
MZ #23
ReplyDelete1) At the end of chapter 11, Loretta Lee told Freak and Max that Freak’s dad was a magician that left the Fair Gwen alone with Freak. I felt that Freak’s dad shouldn’t have just left the Fair Gwen without any help. I also thought that it wasn’t Loretta Lee’s decision to tell Freak about his father, even if he already knows that.
2) Freak’s Christmas present of the pyramid-shaped box and handwritten dictionary was very important to Max, because he knew that Freak spent a lot of time and effort on those hand-made presents. They are more special than some store bought present, because anyone could go out to buy something.
3) The author craft that Rodman Philbrick used at the end of chapter 15 was a cliff hanger. I knew it was a cliff hanger, because it was very tense and exciting. In the book, it said, “The hand is so hard and strong I can’t move, and it feels like my heart has stopped beating, it’s waiting to see what will happen next. ‘I came back,’ he says. ‘Like I promised.’
4) If Freak came to Scotland, I would treat him differently than the rest of the class. I would stay near him to help him get around. That is because he is physically disabled, and he wheezes very easily. I would want Freak as a friend, because he is funny, convincing, and he would stand up for himself and his friend(s).I know that because when his teacher called on Max to answer the questions, he defended Max by being funny. Then, he got the whole class chanting “Freak the Mighty! Freak the Mighty!”